Sunday, April 06, 2008

"To count the life of battle good"

posted by k

This is a hasty post. I simply want to draw attention to three stories in the Sunday papers.

From the Sunday Mirror: Brit troops go into Basra as Iraqi army collapses

From the Independent: Army faces new torture claims over arrest of Shia leader

From the Observer: Brown backs army cadet plan for schools

I don't want my children to be killed in a war, though I accept that everyone - even my children - will die. Even more than that, I do not want my children to become killers and torturers.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am particularly bemused by the reported proposal to restore the CCF and even extend it to state schools. I was in the corps and quite enjoyed it because I had very good eyesight and was good at shooting and therefore rose quickly through the ranks but for most boys it was tedious beyond endurance. I don't think it enhanced anybody's patriotism or respect for the services or servicemen. The corps was abolished at my school in 1966 largely because the abolition of national service had dried up the supply of masters who could serve as officers. There would be even fewer now.
JL

12:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brown backs.....what a heap of......

This sickens me, marching up and down! I'd rather be learning. I am glad you brought this to my attention, things are worse than I realised! Brown hasn't a bloody clue. And its gonna get worse. kllrchrd

10:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home